Soup Sisters has become a Soup Bank, producing soup specifically and intentionally for agencies in need, and continues to provide our message of 'we care' to Canadians.
CANADA'S FIRST SOUP BANK
Delivering Hugs in a Bowl
The pandemic has presented many new challenges in food insecurity and nutrition inequity. Consequently, we have changed from a community soup-making event driven organization to operating a highly economical Soup Bank that delivers thousands of pounds of soup
to agencies nationwide.
We're making a profound and tangible difference, and with your support the impact can be monumental.
Everything starts with proper nourishment.
We changed our charitable model in March 2020 and began producing soup large scale at a food safe commercial production facility in Edmonton. Our Soup Bank has since delivered over 200,000 lbs of fresh soup to more than 40 agencies nationwide.
Our recipes are specifically developed with the support of food scientists and Chef Michael Allemeier CMC, one of three Certified Master Chefs in Canada. Soup is flash frozen and delivered in-kind by VersaCold Logistics Services, (Canada’s largest refrigerated trucking company) and ready to heat and serve.
SINCE COVID BEGAN WE HAVE DELIVERED 200,000 LBS OF
DELICIOUS HEALTHY SOUP
During these times of social and economic turmoil we have extended our reach in support of frontline health workers, domestic violence emergency shelters, marginalized seniors, transitional housing for homeless, Indigenous Peoples, youth in crisis, centres for drug addiction and mental health, and food banks.
IT IS OUR INHERENT BELIEF THAT SOUP IS
THE UNIVERSAL COMFORT FOOD
The agencies we support with our delicious ready to eat, heat and serve soup tell us repeatedly that the value of our support has a positive impact on the physical and mental health of their clients. They appreciate it has been developed specifically for them, and most importantly, that the donation is not random, thereby resulting in minimal waste. This pandemic illustrates the critical need for healthy food. It saves lives.
· Soup Sisters is committed to providing highly nourishing, well balanced meals that provide the support needed to thrive.
· Our delicious heat and serve soup reinforces the perspective that no matter the circumstance we all deserve high-quality food.
· We give to others the same way we give to our own, and it is our inherent belief that soup is the universal comfort food.
WE ARE ABLE TO OPERATE WITH ZERO FOOD WASTE
• The soup is produced large scale allowing for economical production.
• Each kettle produces about 2500 lbs of soup.
• The generosity of VersaCold Logistics Services means we can deliver nationwide.
• The soup has been formulated for optimum nutrition with low sodium and fresh ingredients.
• The soup is convenient. Packaged in family-size 4 lb bags, it is flash frozen, ready to heat and serve